SPRING TERM 2023: INTRO TO HARDWARE DESIGN
Time: Sunday 10:00am - 1:00pm CEST
First Class (SPRING TERM 2023): 30.04.2023
Class length: 6 weeks
Instructor: Michal Kus
Location: "Focal Point School", Rajska 6,
80-850 Gdansk, POLAND or ONLINE
This class gives a solid introduction on the fundamental skills which every concept designer needs for strong hardware design. Along with fundamental skills like perspective we will hone our skills in topics like ‘’ thinking in 3D and be able to visually communicate our ideas’’.
We will work on all the core skills which every concept artist needs in order to start designing your own vehicles and hardware for films and games. This Class helps beginners and more experienced artists to develop.
Classes can be taken on – site or online, from every place that makes Your learning comfortable and drives your creativity.
Please note: This class is 1 of the 3 classes of the Full Intro Term. Primarily every ‘’Intro’’ class is designed to abide by our full program of the ‘’Full Intro Term’’. We recommend signing up for the ‘’Full Intro Term’’ for the full experience and knowledge acquisition.
Class main features:
- The unique opportunity to learn from the mistakes of your veteran instructor which took years to realize. Students get a serious head-start because of this,
- Art Guidance and unique opportunity to witness live demos in making by an industry professional Michał Kus,
- Understanding perspective and thinking in 3D,
- Drawing and studying in perspective, understanding proportions and forms by training how to draw shapes,
- Developing your visual library,
- Understanding the relationship between functional design and aesthetic design for hardware and vehicles,
- Perception of design flow & language.
What do you need to bring to the table?
- Dedication and passion about concept design and illustration,
- Equipment – laptop or tablet and Photoshop or some other 2D graphics program (and knowledge how to use it),
- Motivation, discipline to fulfill homeworks,
- Ability to speak and understand classes in English.
Week to week - Brief schedule*
Week 1 - calibration of skills of the students in class. Introduction to an array of topics to see how well students handle what they already know.
Week 2 - introduction to proportions and how to tackle them from perspective. guidance on effective form digestion and how to work with proportions of a given vehicle.
Week 3 - further development on how to tackle hardware designs in perspective. How to understand proportions and shapes. How to draw objects from multiple angles. How shapes get impacted by different perspective views.
Week 4 - developing the awareness of how hardware design develops through cultures and different time settings. Covering drawing techniques and dynamic sketching.
Week 5 - how to develop your visual library for hardware design specifically.
Week 6 - introduction on how Hardware and vehicle designs work on different levels.
Example: How to tackle a vehicle design with a set of sub functions and how to work with visual hooks to communicate your idea. Enabling the designer’s mind through immersion of real world vehicles. How to not only think as a designer but also as a manufacturer to reach the best fidelity for your designs.
*Please note. Even though we adhere to a week by week structure for our class program, the course’s structure is subject to modification in order to calibrate and optimize the class to the student’s needs. This is to always actively work on the best possible knowledge channeling for our students.