SPRING TERM 2023: ADVANCED ENVIRONMENT DESIGN
Time: Sunday 2:00pm - 5:00pm CEST
First Class (SPRING TERM 2023): 16.04.2023
Class length: 8 weeks
Instructor: Darek Zabrocki
Location: "Focal Point School", Rajska 6,
80-850 Gdansk, POLAND or ONLINE
This class aims for teaching all indispensable skills in order to create environments on the highest industry level.
Environment design will be at focus together with all other necessary skills in order to execute designs on the most advanced level. A vast array of techniques will be taught to increase the consciousness of what a high industry standard design is.
Classes can be taken on – site or online, from every place that makes You learning comfortable and drives your creativity.
Please note: This class is 1 of the 3 classes of the Full Advanced Term. Primarily every ‘’Intro’’ class is designed to abide by our full program of the ‘’Full Advanced Term’’. We recommend signing up for the ‘’’Full Advanced Term’’’ for the full experience and knowledge acquisition.
Class main features:
- The unique opportunity to learn from the mistakes of your veteran instructor which took years to realize. Students get a serious head-start because of this,
- Art Guidance and unique opportunity to witness live demos in making by industry professional Darek Zabrocki,
- Mastering designing environments,
- Development of several high industry standard portfolio pieces,
- Understanding the architectural styles and incorporating them into designs,
- High level designs of real locations,
- Creating "believable" locations,
- How light behaves and how it affects the environment,
- Advanced 2D/3D techniques,
- Working on high-level concepts,
- Design on individual architectural pieces vs how design works as a layout.
What do you need to bring to the table?
- Dedication and passion about concept design and illustration,
- Equipment – laptop or tablet and Photoshop or some other 2d graphics program (and knowledge how to use it), 3d software (preferrably Blender)
- Motivation, discipline to fulfill homeworks,
- Ability to speak and understand classes in English.
Week to week - Brief schedule*
Week 1 - calibration of skills of the students in class. Introduction to an array of topics to see how well students handle what they already know.
Week 2 - raising awareness how architectural styles developed through different cultures, civilizations and how they developed through time. This is all lectured by introducing the students to a certain design task based on a brief provided.
Week 3 - 3D Techniques overview, understanding how to utilize tools (Photos, 3D, VR) for a strong, accurate and efficient workflow for environment design specifically.
Week 4 - industry standard briefing with a big emphasis on applying knowledge from previous weeks eg. developing fidelity in your own work by understanding how architectural design works in the real world. This task will be developed throughout the course to complete the portfolio ready project
Week 5 - grasping all the knowledge gathered so far and working further on the design task with advanced guidance from your instructor. Introducing topics specifically corresponding with the given design task.
Week 6 - active interaction between Instructor who is demoing new topics and techniques by explaining design philosophies and applying it to the ongoing project
Week 7 - working towards being able to understand design philosophy on multiple tiers. Example: Explaining a function of an individual building, including its interior and layout VS, how to tackle a consistent design style of a whole city.
Week 8 - working on a final assignment. All the knowledge gathered will be applied. The students will have 3 weeks time after the end of the course to finish their final assignments.The goal is to have a solid piece which will be a valuable addition to your portfolio!
*Please note. Even though we adhere to a week by week structure for our class program, the course’s structure is subject to modification in order to calibrate and optimize the class to the student’s needs. This is to always actively work on the best possible knowledge channeling for our students.